Eric F. Box Funeral Directors

Celebrating remarkable lives with memorable funerals

Widowed Parent’s Allowance

If you are widowed, below state pension age and have at least one dependent child, you could claim Widowed Parent’s Allowance from the government.

You may also claim if you are pregnant and your husband has died, or you are pregnant after fertility treatment and your civil partner has died.

The amount you receive is based on how much your late husband, wife or civil partner paid in National Insurance contributions.

To receive a Widowed Parent’s Allowance your husband, wife or civil partner must have died, you must be receiving child benefit for at least one child (your late husband, wife or civil partner must have been their parent), or your late husband, wife of civil partner paid National Insurance contributions.

Form BB1 must be completed and sent to your local Jobcentre Plus. You can get the form from either your funeral director or your Jobcentre Plus.